Monday, November 13, 2023

Leaders Must Earn Respect in order to Lead at a High Level

After too long of a hiatus, I am back.  A dear friend inspired me to jump back into this blog due to a casual conversation we were having about leadership and the idea that much of it boils down to respect.  I agree! 

I am sure that most of us have worked with and/or for 'leaders' who held a position but garnered little to no respect.  If you have read my previous posts on this blog, or if you know me and have read other things that I have posted and written, you know that I feel strongly that too many people in positions of leadership are not really leaders at all, but are just occupying a position for personal, professional, and/or financial gain.  Those motives don't gain respect.

 

Respect is that thing that is necessary for leaders to have to be highly effective.  Respect cannot, I repeat CANNOT, be demanded.  I must be earned.  A leader who has the respect of their people is unstoppable.  The leader who does not have the respect of their people is done before they even start.

Respect comes from relationships, from a person's character, and from a person's work ethic (sound familiar?... if not go back and review my previous posts on the Trilateral Leadership Ledger).  

A word of caution.  Respect does not necessarily mean affection.  Just because you like someone does not mean that you respect them, and vise versa.  Both are nice and optimal, but at the end of the day, respect is far more important.  We all have had colleagues and supervisors who we really liked but really did not respect.  I would argue that affection is nice, respect is necessary!  As a leader you need to earn the respect of your team in order to lead them, support them, and move the team forward.

So, how does one earn respect?  I would posit that it is not that hard.  Step one is to give respect.  If people feel respected they are far more likely to want to perform at an optimal level and they will return the respect.  Step two, have character.  For this, review my previous discussion on character where I was unpacking the TLL.  Step three, just be real.  Be approachable, be authentic, be caring, and above all, be yourself.  People can spot a phony a mile away.  None of us are perfect and we all have areas where we need to grow and improve.  Let your team know that you are aware of this and are working every day to grow and improve.  That is how you earn respect, but only if you are sincere!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment